We have done a lot (A LOT) of reading about Instagram these past few weeks and some reading about social media and visuals in general. Take some time in your groups to try and synthesize important information from all these readings. Focus on what you’ve learned about Instagram and its relationship to social media in general. Each group should design a way to represent this synthesized information visually using the program listed below. Post your visual to our WordPress site with a brief description. Be prepared to talk us through the choices you made in synthesizing readings and representing information visually.
Group 1: Whitney, Andrea, Olivia, Karl: ComicLife
Group 2: Allison, Surina, Riley: PiktoChart
Group 3: Natalie, Cassy, Katy, Estrella: Prezi
Readings to consider:
- Arola, K., Sheppard, J. & Ball, C. (2014). “Chapter 1: What are Multimodal Projects?” In Writer/Designer: A Guide to Making Multimodal Projects. Boston, MA: Bedford/St. Martin’s Press, 1-19.
- Jenkins, H., Ford, S., & Green, J., (2013). “Designing for Spreadable Media.” In Spreadable media: Creating value and meaning in a networked culture. New York: New York University Press. 195-229.
- Krug, S. (2005) “How We Really Use The Web” In Don’t Make Me Think!: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability, Second Edition. Berkeley, C.A.: New Riders, 21-29.
- Williams, R. (2008). “The Joshua Tree Epiphany.” In The Non-Designer’s Design Book, Third Edition. Berkeley, C.A.: Peach Pit Press, 11-89.
- Davies, S. Decoding the social media algorithms. A guide for communicators. Stephen Davies. Retrieved from https://www.stedavies.com/social-media-algorithms-guide/#Decoding_the_social_media_algorithms_requires_a_collective_effort
- Wiltshire, E. (2018). The Current State of Social Media Algorithms [Infographic]. Social Media Today. Retrieved from https://www.socialmediatoday.com/news/the-current-state-of-social-media-algorithms/522260/
- Solis, B. (2011). Chapter 10: The New Media University 701: Social Media Optimization, SEO, and Content Distribution In Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate and Measure Success in the New Web. Sussex, U.K.: Wiley and Sons Ltd.
- Warner, C. (2018). This Is Exactly How Social Media Algorithms Work Today. Skyword. Retrieved from https://www.skyword.com/contentstandard/marketing/this-is-exactly-how-social-media-algorithms-work-today/
- McCoy, J. (2016). 10 Ways to Grow an Organic Instagram Presence. Social Media Examiner. Retrieved from https://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/10-ways-to-grow-an-organic-instagram-presence/
- Jipa, A. (2018). 12 Ways to Boost Your Instagram Presence. Social Media Today. Retrieved from https://www.socialmediatoday.com/news/12-ways-to-boost-your-instagram-presence/516037/
- Solis, B. (2011). Chapter 6: The New Media University 301: Images and Multimedia. In Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate and Measure Success in the New Web. Sussex, U.K.: Wiley and Sons Ltd.
- Barker, S. (2017). How To Make Money Off Your Instagram Account. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbescoachescouncil/2017/11/20/how-to-make-money-off-your-instagram-account/#4cd606e6af07